Most TV remote controls (RCs) use infrared ports to transmit signals. For each model, the set of commands programmed in the remote control is unique. The manufacturer deliberately does this so that different signals do not intersect with each other. In this article, you will learn how to find the individual code for your TV.
- 1 Why know the remote control code?
- 2 What kind of remote controls are there?
- 3 How do I find my TV code?
- 4 Universal TV remote control code table
- 5 How to set up a universal remote?
- 6 Possible problems
Why know the remote control code?
TV remote controls use a communication method called pulse code modulation. Each command from the remote control to the TV is assigned a specific sequence of numbers, and through them the device is controlled.
- in order to turn on the TV, the combination 000 is used;
- 011 encoding is used to increase the volume, etc.
If the old remote control is damaged or lost, the TV owner usually buys a universal remote control, since the original device is simply impossible to find (because some TV models are discontinued after 2-3 years, they are no longer supported, and remotes for them are also not available). The universal remote control is a third-party remote control that allows you to program the settings for most popular TV receiver models. This remote control immediately adjusts to the desired TV model. For this, a special code is used, which varies from 2 to 5 digits (the most common are 3 digits). After sending the original code from the new remote control to the TV, the latter will recognize such a remote control as its own, and then you can use it to control the TV.
The remote control code is not official technical information. This database has been compiled by a third party to help you identify compatible remotes and TVs.
What kind of remote controls are there?
Remote controls can be conditionally divided into 3 categories – original, compatible with all devices of one specific brand and universal. More about varieties:
- Original. These are devices for a specific model of the brand’s TVs. This remote control comes with the TV. These are usually the most recent models with additional features added that are not supported by other TVs.
- Compatible with TV brand (in whole or in part). For example, Toshiba TV remote controls almost always use the same commands for initial settings (turn on / off, change channel, change volume). The situation is similar with Xiaomi and LG TVs. But Samsung and Sony usually release a separate model of the remote control with a set of unique commands for each TV.
- Universal. Such devices are sometimes called programmable. Their infrared sensor supports the full range of infrared signals used in remote controls. But only one range can be used at a time (can be changed as needed). They are sometimes able to help control other devices such as DVD players, kitchen systems, stereos, etc.
To summarize, let’s say that the first two categories are control devices created for a specific type of technical device. An additional difference is that the first type is produced at its own manufacturing plant, where the TV itself is assembled, and the non-original remote control is manufactured by another company under license. The universal control panel (UPDU) is a learning control device. You can choose its shape, size, color and design according to your personal preference. Inside such a device there is a special program and a code library that allows you to determine almost all TV signals. There are also applications for smartphones with the function of a universal remote control. To properly configure such a program, you must do the following:
- Install the application that uses the infraport like a regular program from your OS store (the recommended program for most modern phone modifications is “Mi Remote”).
- Launch the downloaded remote control application.
- Select your TV model from the list to which you want to configure the remote.
- Check the command compatibility if necessary – edit the function of each key manually.
Video instructions for setting up a mobile universal remote control:
The main advantage of using a smartphone is that commands for most popular TV models are already integrated into the application. You do not need to look for a code, you just need to indicate the serial number or article number of the TV (indicated on the packaging and in the technical documentation).
How do I find my TV code?
When starting to search for the remote control code, we recommend that you first read the instructions for your TV. Some guides are very accurate and contain a wide range of information. There you can find the universal code for connecting the remote control to the TV. If the necessary information was not found in the instructions, enter in the search engine the model of the native TV remote control, which can be found under the battery compartment cover. It is also possible to find out the code from it.
Universal TV remote control code table
Your TV code can be found in the table. It lists the most popular TV brands and the correct code values for them.
|AOC||005, 014, 029, 048, 100, 113, 136, 152, 176, 177, 188, 190, 200, 202, 204, 214.|
|AKAI||015, 099, 109, 124, 161, 172, 177.|
|Citizen||086, 103, 113, 114, 132, 148, 160, 171, 176, 178, 188, 209.|
|EYELID||161, 162, 163, 164, 16.|
|Daewoo||086, 100, 103, 113, 114, 118, 153, 167, 174, 176, 178, 188, 190, 194, 214, 217, 235, 251, 252.|
|Emerson||048, 054, 084, 097, 098, 100, 112, 113, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 141, 148, 157, 158, 169, 176, 177, 178, 179, 188, 195, 206, 209, 234.|
|GE||051, 054, 061, 065, 068, 083, 100, 108, 113, 131, 141, 143, 145, 146, 176, 180, 184, 187, 222, 235.|
|Goldstar||096, 100, 113, 157, 171, 175, 176, 178, 179, 184, 188, 190, 191, 223.|
|Hitachi||004, 014, 019, 034, 069, 086, 095, 099, 100, 107, 113, 157, 162, 164, 173, 176, 178, 179, 184, 188, 201, 203, 204, 207, 214, 224, 225, 238.|
|Citizen||086, 103, 113, 114, 132, 148, 160, 171, 176, 178, 188, 209.|
|JVC||022, 023, 024, 067, 075, 081, 093, 107, 129, 157, 165, 166, 187, 201.|
|Kenwood||100, 113, 114, 176.|
|Lg||114, 156, 179, 223, 248, 1434, 0614.|
|037, 060, 082, 100, 109, 113, 114, 127, 131, 132, 162, 163, 167, 175, 176, 178, 179.|
|Mitsubishi||005, 020, 021, 044, 090, 097, 100, 113, 114, 117, 136, 141, 175, 176, 188, 190, 206, 226, 227.|
|Pioneer||074, 092, 100, 108, 113, 123, 176, 187, 228.|
|Panasonic National||010, 015, 016, 017, 028, 037, 050, 058, 068, 082, 083, 088, 089, 094, 108, 122, 130, 145, 159, 161, 167, 187, 247, 0675, 1515, 0155, 0595, 1565, 0835, 0665, 1125, 1605.|
|Philips||036, 037, 056, 060, 068, 082, 100, 109, 113, 114, 122, 132, 154, 156, 157, 162, 163, 167, 176, 179, 198, 215, 216, 0525, 0605, 1305, 0515, 1385, 1965, 1435, 0345, 0425, 1675.|
|RCA||047, 051, 065, 066, 068, 100, 105, 113, 143, 152, 176, 180, 190, 206, 213, 222, 229, 230.|
|Sony||000, 001, 012, 013, 014, 024, 045, 046, 073, 097, 181, 198, 202, 204, 214, 232, 244, 245, 246, 0154, 0434, 1774, 0444, 0144, 2304.|
|Samsung||171, 175, 176, 178, 178, 188, 0963, 0113, 0403, 2653, 2333, 2663, 0003, 2443, 070, 100, 107, 113, 114, 140, 144, 157, 167, 170.|
|Sharp||009, 038, 043, 059, 087, 106, 113, 133, 157, 173, 176, 178, 179, 188, 192, 206, 207, 208.|
|Sanyo||014, 024, 025, 026, 027, 034, 035, 040, 041, 049, 051, 110, 117, 120, 168, 173, 175, 186, 195, 204, 214, 218, 231, 232, 241.|
How to set up a universal remote?
Insert the batteries into the remote control and turn on the TV, which will be synchronized with the remote control. The next steps will be different. If you do not know the code for your TV model, go to the automatic setup section, if you know the code, refer to the manual setup instructions.
Not all TVs can be configured automatically with remotes.
In auto mode
To recode the remote control in auto mode, use the main remote control or the button on the cabinet to turn on the TV. Bring the universal remote to the TV and do not remove it until the end of the program. Further steps for different models are described below.
Unitary unit SUPRA
SUPRA (Supra) remote controls are often used to control LG, Samsung or Philips TVs. The setup looks like this:
- Press and hold the “Power” button on the remote control for 5-6 seconds until the LED indicator lights up.
- Wait until the sound icon appears on the screen, then try changing the volume settings. If the TV answers, the setup was successful.
Universal remotes from a German manufacturer. How to set up:
- Simultaneously press and hold the “SET” and “TV” buttons for 5-10 seconds until the indicator next to the “POWER” button lights up.
- When the TV turns off, immediately press “OK”.
- Use the universal remote control to turn on the TV and try different commands.
If the TV does not listen to the new remote control, most likely you did not press “OK” quickly enough and the whole process must be repeated.
To enter programming mode, press and hold the “TV” button for 5 seconds. Then point the remote at the TV and press the “Power” button every 1 second. When the TV detects a signal (on or off), you will need to press “OK”.
The “OK” button must be pressed within 3 seconds. If time is lost, the programming process must be repeated from the very beginning.
Universal remotes from a famous French brand. How to set up:
- Press and hold the remote button “TV” for 5-10 seconds, thereby selecting the desired mode. As a result, the indicator on the front panel of the remote control should light up.
- Wait a minute – if the required code is already in the remote control’s memory, the device will set it automatically.
These are remotes from the Russian electronics trade mark. Tuning Algorithm:
- Press and hold the “Set” button to light up the indicator.
- Click on the channel search to start the automatic search for codes.
- As soon as the light on the remote control goes out, immediately click on “OK”, saving the found code.
If the button is pressed too late, you will have to repeat the algorithm over again.
This company also makes universal remotes. How to set up:
- Press buttons “C” and “Setup” at the same time.
- Wait until initialization is complete and the indicator light flashes twice, then release the buttons.
- Check the functionality through the “Volume” (“Vol”) button.
Basically, these remotes do not need to be configured, you just need to insert the batteries and start using them, but sometimes they still need more participation from the owner. It is configured according to the following scheme:
- Press the “Set” button on the remote control, then, without releasing the previous one, press the “Power” button.
- Release the two buttons at the same time.
- Press the “Power” button again.
- Make sure the sound icon appears on the screen. This means that the setup was successful.
- To exit programming mode, press the “Set” button twice.
In manual mode
In manual mode, the user must specify the compatible code on the remote control himself. Since manufacturers use several sets of commands for their TVs, you will have to act by brute force. If one code does not fit, enter the next, etc.
If you do not have time to enter the password within one minute, the TV will return to its normal state and the setup will need to start from the very beginning.
To set the code manually, press the “Power” and “Set” buttons at the same time. This will put you in programming mode. Wait until the PU indicator turns on continuously. Then enter the four-digit code. When the indicator turns off, press the “Set” button to exit the mode.
OFA (One for all)
These remote controls are suitable for all types of TVs. To set them, press and hold the “Magic”, “SET” or “SETUP” button (depending on the type of remote control) for 5 to 10 seconds. When the LED lights up, enter the individual TV code. If you were able to set up the remote, the LED indicator will blink twice and the TV will turn off.
Unitary unit SUPRA
To set the code manually, turn on the TV, press the “Power” button on the remote control, and without releasing it, enter the TV model code. When the device LED blinks twice, release the held down power button.
For manual tuning, turn on the TV and press and hold the “TV” button (the indicator light should come on). After releasing the button, enter the device code. After entering the fourth digit, the combination will be saved in the device’s memory and the TV screen will turn off.
To adjust, press and hold the “TV” button for 5-10 seconds. When the buttons on the remote control or the screen backlight blinks and the “TV” mode indicator lights up, enter the TV code. If the setting is accepted, the backlight will flash three more times. If not accepted, the backlight will blink once and the “TV” mode indicator will light up.
Press the “Set” button and wait for the indicator to light up. Enter the found password manually and click “OK”. The remote control will remember the specified combination. General video instruction for manual configuration:
There is one more method for setting up a universal remote control, for which you do not need to know the code. You need to do the following:
- Turn on the TV and then point the universal remote at it.
- Press and hold the “TV” and “OK” buttons at the same time for 3 seconds until the indicator on the remote control comes on.
- After that, turn on the channel switching key “+”, and press it until the TV turns off. This means that the code has been matched.
- Press the “TV” button to save the settings.
When setting up a new remote control and entering codes, a number of problems can arise. We will analyze the most common ones.
This is the most common problem faced by universal remotes users. All data is stored in volatile memory. This means restoring the factory settings after removing the batteries from the remote control. After that, you need to reconfigure.
Button icons do not match the specified functions
More than 160 commands are used in infrared remote controllers. Sometimes several of them work on the TV at the same time. Therefore, the UPDU developer often cannot register codes for absolutely all TV models in one control device. In this case, it is recommended to use manual programming mode for each button (if supported). Or you can use a smartphone with an IrDA port.
The setting is done, but the remote control does not work
The problem is solved by custom resetting the remote control to factory settings. The implementation of this is the same for all remote controls. How to reset:
None of the options shown in the table are suitable
It happens that none of the options indicated in the table is suitable, and the remote control is not configured. In this case, experts recommend using auto-tuning or seeking professional advice. Some of the most common causes of the problem are:
- The universal remote control model is not suitable for your specific TV. Before purchasing a device, please read the list of suitable brands and specifications.
- Smart TV receives commands via Bluetooth. If your TV uses Bluetooth instead of an infrared sensor, you won’t be able to use the universal remote.
- The signal may be weak due to dead batteries. It is important to ensure that all equipment is working properly before use.
- Features of Samsung TV. For TVs of the brand, released before 2012, universal remotes of the same years of production are needed. Others won’t work.
Codes for remote controls are most often needed to set up universal remote controls when the old remote control is broken or has been lost. This is often the only way to control a TV that has already been discontinued by the manufacturer.