Voltage stabilizer for TV
What it is
The TV must be powered up to operate. The nominal value of the voltage in the network is 220 V, but in practice it may differ slightly. The TV operates on the assumption that the voltage is approximately equal to this value. If it is very small or significantly more than 220 V, this can lead to equipment inoperability or damage. GOST considers such situations. Usually, it is enough that the deviations do not exceed 10% of 220 V. If the voltage does not go beyond these limits, then viewers can safely watch television programs. In real life, accidental shutdowns or other emergencies cannot be ruled out. In some cases, a surge may occur that will result in an increase in excess of 300 V. Such situations are usually independent of the owner of the equipment. To exclude their occurrence,just use a voltage regulator.
Stabilizers can be used for one device or used for an entire apartment. In the latter case, they are connected immediately after the meter.
Why do you need
The stabilizer is a device that is connected to the mains. The plug from the TV is plugged into this unit. As long as the voltage remains normal, it is supplied unchanged to the power cable of the TV. As soon as it becomes too small or too large, it is blocked, and instead it remains normal at the output. If electricity suddenly goes out, then after a few minutes the transformer turns off. There are various types of such devices with various useful features. You need to choose the one that best suits the owner of the TV, taking into account the peculiarities of his situation.
Does every TV need a stabilizer
Stabilizers reliably protect TVs from sudden power surges. However, technology is constantly evolving and in new models manufacturers are trying to protect their technology to a greater extent. Therefore, sometimes the opinion arises that the use of stabilizers has lost its relevance.
Switching power supplies are used in new TV models. One of their features is that they continue to work well even with significant voltage deviations from the nominal. In most cases, they work efficiently in the range from 100 to 250 V. In a significant number of cases, this helps to save the situation. These units may have a fuse that will melt when the voltage spikes, but this is usually a one-time use. Occasionally, however, more serious failures can occur. This applies to sudden outages or all sorts of emergencies. For example, if the neutral wire in the network is broken, the voltage in the outlet can sometimes reach 380 V. From such situations, switching power supplies cannot save. Those who live in the countrysideusually encounter power surges more often. If they are strong enough, then it can threaten to break. In order to more accurately find out the capabilities of the purchased TV model during power surges, you need to clarify this information with the seller and familiarize yourself with the instruction manual. When buying, you need to take into account the degree of reliability of the power supply used in an apartment or house. Some TV manufacturers produce branded voltage stabilization devices. These include, for example, LG. However, their cost is relatively high. If the network does not work reliably, and power surges occur regularly, then the purchase of a stabilizer is necessary. In cases where the network has been stable for many years, you can refrain from buying such a device. The user must choosewhat category should you classify your situation into.
What types are there
The types of stabilizers are as follows:
- Relay stabilizers are the most affordable. They allow a deviation of 10% from the rated voltage at the output. For some TVs, this may not be enough. The operation of the device is based on the use of a step-winding transformer. In case of sudden changes in voltage, the controller switches between them. Sometimes the number of steps is too small and does not provide sufficient smooth switching.
- A servo-motor or, as it is also called, a mechanical device has higher reliability and quality compared to a relay one. At the same time, it has a higher cost. In order for it to work well, it must be regularly serviced. With changes, the brushes move along the turns of the transformer wire. At the same time, there is a sufficiently high quality, but the performance remains insufficient. Such devices work efficiently only in heated rooms.
- Even better are triac or thyristor devices. In the event of a malfunction, the device is able to quickly equalize the output voltage. Severe overheating of the stabilizer can be a critical problem. It can lead to its burnout and inoperability. It has a relatively high price tag. In some cases, it may interfere with it. However, such devices have a long service life.
- Double conversion models, despite their relatively high cost, are the best choice. Such transformers have the largest input voltage range, at which its stabilization is available. This technique has been working efficiently and reliably for many years.
When choosing, the owner of the TV must take into account the quality of the electrical network and the available financial capabilities.
Stabilizers are chosen based on their technical characteristics. They are as follows:
- The power must exceed the corresponding rating of the connected device.
- The stabilization accuracy characterizes the maximum deviation at the output from the nominal voltage.
- It should be borne in mind that some devices are noisy and may cause discomfort to viewers during operation.
- The range of permissible input voltage means that the required voltage will be given out for the indicators within it. When you go beyond the boundaries, the TV will be turned off.
- Design and dimensions must be taken into account in order to choose a device that will match the design of the room.
- Fast response will allow better response to power surges.
Choosing the right device will allow you to use it for many years.
Parameters that you need to pay attention to when choosing
https://voltmarket.ua/stabilizatory-napryazheniya/filter/use-dlya-televizora Industrial stabilizers are designed for use in various conditions depending on their technical characteristics. When buying them, you need to carefully read and pay attention to the following:
- Power supply networks are single-phase and three-phase. The purchased device must comply with this. For single-phase networks, it must be single-phase. Three-phase stabilizing devices are more often used for industrial purposes. If there is such a network at home and there are powerful electrical appliances, then it makes sense to install at home. Sometimes three single-phase devices are installed instead.
- The power of the stabilizer must correspond to this parameter for a television receiver. In most cases, this indicator is in the range from 300 to 1000 watts. It is generally believed that the power of the stabilizer should be at least 30% more than the power of the TV.
- The gimbal is actually a piece of furniture, as it will sit next to the TV. Therefore, one must take into account how he fits into the home environment.
Before you go to the store, it makes sense to read customer reviews. This will help you more accurately determine the choice.
How to connect
The procedure for connecting the stabilizer must be carried out correctly – it is not difficult to do it yourself. To connect, you need to take the following steps:
- Before starting the procedure, you need to turn off the electricity in the apartment or house, and then install an RCD at the entrance to the power grid. This measure can provide protection for electrical appliances in the most dangerous situations.
- It is necessary to provide for the presence of grounding in the electrical network.
- The stabilizer is installed next to the TV.
- The stabilizer is connected to an outlet, connected to ground and a TV set is connected to it.
After that, you can start watching TV programs.
How to understand what is out of order
Although the devices in question are reliable, you need to be prepared for the fact that they may have malfunctions. The most common are the following:
- The noise during operation is higher than usual, the presence of loud crackling and clicks.
- Turns off when working with a load. This usually happens when it exceeds the usual indicators.
- The output voltage cannot be obtained. In each type of stabilizer, this can lead to its own reasons. For example, in mechanical engineering, this occurs when the brushes are worn out and their incomplete contact.
- If stabilization occurs in abrupt steps, it is usually a faulty switch that is the cause. In mechanical devices, an additional cause may be lack of lubrication.
If the device does not show signs of life, it can be taken to a workshop for diagnostics and repair.
Repair and replacement
If a malfunction is found, you can disassemble the device and check the inside for burning and damage. If problems are found, you can rewind the transformer or replace it with a more powerful one. If it is difficult to carry out repairs yourself, it makes sense to contact a specialist. In this case, it is important to compare the cost of repairing and buying a new device. Sometimes the latter option is more beneficial.