To get an unforgettable experience of listening to your favorite content on a modern TV, you can’t do without a soundbar. Now you can enjoy your favorite shows and the best movies on your plasma TV with immersive sound on your mono speaker with Dolby Atmos. Dolby atmos soundbar can be selected from well-known brands such as LG, Sony, Samsung at an affordable cost.
What is a soundbar?
As TVs got thinner and turned into liquid crystal plasmas, the sound quality from their speakers gradually deteriorated. The reason for the degradation of sound in modern televisions is quite simple – there is not enough room in the plasma for a powerful sound system. However, one cannot argue with the fact that the sound quality on many of the most expensive TVs is quite good, but not everyone can afford such a TV – as a result, an invention called “soundbar” appeared.
Mono speakers of modern assembly have almost no many wires, and several speakers are installed inside such devices. Thanks to the internal speakers, sound is output from the same place where the TV screen is installed.
Interesting to know! Dolby atmos-enabled soundbars range from budget around $ 50- $ 70 and start at $ 300 for more modern or newer 2021 models.
Factors to consider when choosing a soundbar:
- Availability of inputs for connecting a TV to the soundbar . These can be HDMI, optical, or RCA stereo inputs. Before buying a soundbar, it is important to check which inputs your TV model supports.
- Bluetooth support . When installing the soundbar, you don’t have to figure out where to hide a lot of tangled wires.
- The number of speakers is important as the quality of the audio signal depends on them.
- Is the panel supplied with a subwoofer . This unit provides additional bass boost when watching movies and listening to audio format.
- Dolby Atmos support for creating a vacuum from surround clear sound.
Note that many soundbars have less power and fewer features than a full-fledged audio system. The soundbar will not be suitable for a room that is too large or for someone who expects the best audio effect, like in a real movie theater.
What is Dolby Atmos Technology?
Sound technology has reached incredible heights in recent years. From simple stereos to 3D sound with Dolby Atmos. This audio format is slowly but surely changing the perception of quality sound when watching movies, gaming and listening to music. Dolby Atmos is the ability to create realistic sound from listening to a movie, video game, or audio recording.
This object-oriented audio system takes surround sound from TV to a whole new level, creating a certain vacuum from which sound exits in different parts of the room. Sound comes out through specific speakers in a mono speaker. An example of an airplane or a helicopter is the effect when, when using Dolby Atmos, if an airplane is flying on the screen, you can feel that it is actually flying directly over your head from one side of the room to the other.
Worth knowing! For you to experience Dolby Atmos on your TV, you need to include a Dolby Atmos-enabled movie or music. You can find such content on Netflix and iTunes, which have support for a Blu-ray player or soundbar with Dolby Atmos.
Dolby Atmos Soundbar Features and Functions
Home soundbars with Dolby Atmos are represented by three digits, for example 5.1.2. The first number refers to the number of speakers, the second number is the number of subwoofers, and the third and last number is the number of overhead channel speakers. Overhead speakers are the main distinguishing components of an Atmos installation. More often than not, a home Dolby Atmos system will include two or four overhead speakers for the ultimate 3D sound effect when listening to content. The signals that work with Dolby Atmos are Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus. Another notable aspect of Dolby Atmos is that a speaker with this option will only work in a personal TV setting if all components of the existing system support this audio format.
Reference! To identify movies that play in Dolby Atmos, look at the Atmos icon next to the movie title. There are over 100 Dolby Atmos compatible movies available on 4K Blu-ray.
When it comes to gaming, Dolby Atmos is still pretty rare in the soundbar. Overwatch and Star Wars Battlefront are some of the games that support Dolby Atmos. Fortunately, gamers can access game content using the Dolby Access app on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs. How DOLBY ATMOS surround sound works: https://youtu.be/bKeNJNAzDEU
Review of the best Dolby Atmos soundbars
Dolby Atmos soundbars are a great option if you have limited space in your home or don’t want to deal with a lot of wires. Dolby Atmos-enabled soundbars include upward-firing speakers. They bounce sound off the ceiling while other speakers perform their normal functions to create surround sound. Top 10 Dolby Atmos Soundbars:
- The LG SN10YG is a great all-round soundbar for creating Dolby Atmos in your living room. The 5.1.2 system offers 570 watts of power. And with the built-in Google Assistant, you can play music and control the soundbar with your voice – no additional hardware required. AI Room Calibration determines the characteristics of the room to provide the best sound. A person can adaptively manipulate the sound to emphasize low or high frequencies. Minus monocolumns in the expensive price of almost 70 thousand rubles.
- Sonos Arc has a significant reputation for multi-room audio, and the new Sonos Arc soundbar will bring Atmos technology to TV. 5.0.2 has Amazon Alexa built in, so you can play music, set alarms, and more with a simple voice command. The soundbar is compatible with Apple AirPlay 2. To get the most out of the soundbar, Trueplay technology will customize the soundbar and optimize it for your personal use. The downside of the soundbar is that there is no special subwoofer included. The price is 30-40 thousand rubles.
- LG SK9Y is a 5: 1 type system with Dolby Atmos support. With this soundbar, the sound is realistic and detailed across all frequency ranges. The total power of the system is 500 W. The gadget is certified according to the Hi-Res Audio standard. The disadvantage is the cost of 29 thousand rubles.
- The VIZIO SB46312-F6 is an excellent affordable Dolby Atmos soundbar. System 3.1.2 does not skimp on low frequencies thanks to the 10-inch speaker of the wireless subwoofer. All cables are included, so setting up your system is a breeze. Minus – no support for Apple AirPlay 2. Price 35-45 thousand rubles.
- The JBL Bar 9.1 system has a maximum power of 820 watts, filling the entire room with quality sound. 10 ” 300W subwoofer that delivers great bass when watching movies. Minus – despite the name, in fact, the system is 5.1.4. The price is 55 thousand rubles.
- Samsung HW-Q900T 7.1.2 Soundbar is equipped with built-in Amazon Alexa, so you can interact with the popular voice assistant, play music and watch movies. The adaptive sound function analyzes the content and provides the best sound for every scene. A dedicated mode will interact with the console to provide optimized and clear directional sound. Minus no support for Chromecast or Apple AirPlay Price 50-60 thousand rubles.
- Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1.4 – These two wired rear speakers, along with four upward-firing speakers in the soundbar, help create a cinema-like feel in your living room. Another great feature is the three HDMI inputs, so you can use all your equipment with the soundbar. The cost is about 40 thousand rubles.
- The Sony ST5000 is a 7.1.2 soundbar with 800W of powerful sound. Equipped with full Dolby Atmos with two upward-facing speakers. Sony also offers several different sound quality enhancements. ClearAudio + automatically adjusts sound settings. Three HDMI inputs for devices other than TV. There is no support for Apple AirPlay 2 – this is a minus of the system. The cost is almost 80 thousand rubles.
- The Samsung HW-Q800A is a 3.1.2-channel Dolby Atmos / DTS: X soundbar . Provides a full range of speakers with 1 subwoofer and 2 uplinks. Perfectly balanced, room-filling sound designed by leading sound engineers from the California Audio Lab. The price is 40-45 thousand rubles.
- LG SJ3 is a 2: 1 soundbar . Included with the rear speakers is a full-fledged 200 W subwoofer. The system has a power of 300 watts. There is an auto power off function, due to which the device is in standby mode when the TV is turned off. The device supports wired and wireless connections. The panel works with Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. You can control the sound system through the remote control. The disadvantage is the lack of an HDMI connector. Price 11,500 rubles.
The best LG soundbars supporting Dolby Atmos technology: LG SN9Y – TOP soundbar for TV: https://youtu.be/W5IIapbmCm0 LG sn7y dolby atmos soundbar review: https://youtu.be/hLFFVOvF9L8
The cheapest Dolby Atmos soundbar among the best models
The TCL TS8111 soundbar costs up to 21 thousand rubles. It has USB A, mini-Jack (3.5 mm) and optical inputs. The interface also supports Bluetooth.
The second budget soundbar is the Samsung HW-Q600A. It has HDMI in and out, DTS audio encoders, DTS X, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and of course Dolby Atmos. The price of the device is from 20 to 35 thousand rubles.
How to connect and configure?
To create the optimal Dolby Atmos sound system, first become familiar with the role and position of each speaker. Then select the center point opposite the sofa or armchairs. Angle the speakers so they are at ear level when you are seated. To activate Dolby Atmos, follow these guidelines:
- Open the Settings app, and select Sounds & Vibration.
- Select Sound Quality and Effects.
- Click on the Dolby Atmos phrase to activate the effect.
- If you want to change the playback mode, click Dolby Atmos and select the audio settings you want.
How much to spend on a mono speaker with Dolby Atmos is an individual question and the amount depends on how picky a person is about sound quality, as well as on what type of content will need to be listened to through TV. For example, for watching action movies, it is more profitable to use a mono speaker with a high volume and powerful bass.