The Wink app is a film platform from Rostelecom designed for watching TV channels, films, TV series and other video content. Belongs to the category of online cinemas. The service can be downloaded on TV, smartphones, tablets and PCs with different operating systems. In this article, we will walk you through the ways to install Wink software on LG Smart TV.
What is Wink?
Wink is an interactive TV available on multiple devices through the same account. Using this platform, you can easily access your favorite TV shows, channels, series and movies on LG Smart TV, other TV systems, as well as phones, PCs and tablets.
The function, thanks to which you can watch Wink on several devices at once from one account, is called Multiscreen. It does not require a separate connection and is available immediately after installing this application on LG or another TV.
The maximum number of devices that can be connected to one account is five. If this threshold is exceeded, you will be prompted to remove one of the connections.
Ways to Install Wink on LG Smart TV
The Wink software installation is available on LG Smart TVs with webOS version 3.0 and higher. There are two methods of installation: through the official store from Smart TV or from a USB flash drive, on which the necessary program will be previously downloaded.
To install Wink on LG Smart TV, you must first create an account on the service. If you already have such an account, you can proceed directly to the installation according to the instructions.
Through the official store
This is the easiest and most reliable way. The process of installing Wink on LG Smart TV via the app store:
- Press the MY APPS button on the remote control (with a picture in the form of a house), it will launch the LG Content Store.
- In the menu that opens, select the “Applications and games” section located on the right (highlighted in pink in the picture).
- In the list that opens, find the Wink app. If your LG TV model supports this application, it will appear in the list. For the convenience of the operation, it is possible to use the search and filters. Type in “Wink” in the search bar at the top.
- Click on the icon of the desired application. Another page will open, on which you need to click the “Install” button.
After the application is fully downloaded and installed, you can subscribe and watch your favorite channels and movies.
From a flash drive
This method is more complicated and time consuming. For installation:
- Find the archive with the Wink widget for LG on the network and download it to your PC. Download applications only from trusted sources, otherwise you can harm the system.
- Unpack the downloaded file to a USB flash drive with the FAT32 file system.
- Insert the USB stick into the USB port on the TV. If a notification pops up asking you to open it, refuse.
- Launch the My Apps application, select the USB icon on its main screen and open the installation file from the USB flash drive.
Next, the download and installation will begin. TB LG has some limitations related to the installation of widgets. Some USB storage devices may not be suitable for installing apps on your LG Smart TV, and TVs with a single USB port may not support installing third-party widgets at all.
Using Wink on LG Smart TV
Knowing how to properly download and install the Wink software on your LG Smart TV, you can quickly and easily add the application to your TV home screen. After that, it remains to figure out how to activate and use the Wink features.
Switching on and viewing
After installing the program, launch it from the main screen and enter your mobile number in the pop-up window to log into your account. If you do not have one, the system will display a message asking you to register and open a registration form (you need to enter your phone number and the code that will come to it). If you have a promotional code, you can add it as follows:
- Go to the “Settings” section, and from it go to the “Activate promo code” item.
- A window will open in which you need to enter the promotional code you have. Confirm the correctness of the entered characters by clicking on “Ok”.
Be careful when entering a promo code: if you enter an incorrect code several times in a short period of time, you will be temporarily blocked for suspicious activity. If you take promotional codes from the Internet, take a break of 5 minutes between inputs.
Everything, you can start watching. There are now 20 free channels available to you. If you want to get access to others, you need to pay for a subscription.
After installing Wink, the user can access more than 200 TV channels, many films, series and other content. The service’s movie catalog is constantly growing, giving its viewers the opportunity to watch the latest cinema novelties, and not only. After the application is downloaded on TB and the account is activated, you will be able to access:
- hundreds of popular TV channels;
- several thousand units of video content for every taste (these are both novelties and good old films);
- collections of subscriptions;
- various bonuses, discounts and promotional codes that the service regularly pampers its users with;
- parental control to protect children from movies and shows 18+ (can be installed on one specific device connected to a shared account);
- multiscreen, which was already written above;
- viewing control – you can rewind the viewed content, pause it, write it to the device’s memory, etc.
View control includes broadcast archive. This allows you to watch leaked content on TV for the next 72 hours. For each user, Wink has 7 GB of server storage space (that’s about 6 hours of high quality video). This space can be expanded at an additional cost.
How to update Wink on LG?
There is no need to update each application separately on the TV, and the Wink service on LG Smart TV is no exception. The main thing is to timely update the firmware of the TV itself. Check periodically for a new version. This can be done as follows:
- Go to the settings (menu) of your TV.
- Go to the “General” section and select “TV Information” in it (this item may also be called “Device Information”, etc.).
- Click the Check for Software Updates button. The check takes no more than a couple of minutes.
- If there is an update available, the Update button will appear. Click on it and wait until the flashing is completed and the TV restarts.
In order not to constantly check for updates, check the box next to the line “Allow automatic updates”. Video instructions for updating the software (the video also describes the second, more complex, way to update the system):
How to disable Wink on LG?
To disable Wink on LG Smart TV, simply uninstall the app from your TV – instructions on how to uninstall programs from LG TV are above. If you do not plan to use Wink anymore, be sure to remove all paid subscriptions before deactivating the app. And be sure to untie your bank card from your account (different things happen, it’s better to play it safe).
What if I have problems with the installation?
The most common issue you encounter when installing the Wink app is lack of free space on your device. In this case, there is only one solution – to remove other programs. Perhaps some are no longer relevant to you and you have not used them for a long time. To remove excess, follow these steps:
- Press the “Smart” button on the remote control and click on the “Change” line in the pop-up window.
- A list of all applications installed on your LG Smart TV will appear on the screen. Select from them the one / those that you want to delete (using the arrows on the remote control).
- Press the “OK” button on the remote control and then click on the “Delete” line that appears.
After all these steps, try to install the application again. If you encounter a problem while downloading, configuring or using the Wink program, you can contact Rostelecom’s support service at any time by calling 88001000800 and get qualified assistance. Technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also contact support in other ways:
- by e-mail – email@example.com;
- through the application on the TV itself (or through the phone) – go to the “Help” section located in the menu, then click “Report a problem”;
- via feedback on the site wink.rt.ru (located at the end of the main page) – in case you do not have an account on the service yet.
You don’t need to have any special knowledge of electronics to install the Wink online cinema on your LG Smart TV. Everything is simple and straightforward. After completing just a few steps to download, according to the instructions, and activating your account, you can immediately start watching standard TV channels. To access a wider list of content, you will need to subscribe.