Synchronizing the tablet and TV allows you to significantly increase the functionality of this technique. Using the tablet, you can control the TV, run various applications, use the large screen to view videos, photos, films.
- 1 Is it possible to connect a graphics tablet to a TV?
- 2 What do you need to know before connecting?
- 3 Wired connection
- 4 Wireless connection
- 5 What is the best choice?
- 6 How do I connect my tablet to a TV of an identical brand?
- 7 Options for connecting the tablet to older TV models
- 8 Why can’t I connect my tablet to my TV?
Is it possible to connect a graphics tablet to a TV?
If you have a tablet, you can use it to broadcast pictures and videos to the big screen – television. In principle, tablets of all brands are capable of this – from brands Samsung, Lenovo, Acer, Huawei and others. Any tablet has a connector that can be used for a wired connection. All you need is a suitable cable to connect your tablet to your TV. If you have a new, advanced TV with Wi-Fi support, then connecting is even easier – wirelessly. Often, you don’t even have to download special applications, since in the TV software with Smart TV, the manufacturer initially builds in functions that allow you to synchronize their work with tablets, mobile phones, and other gadgets.
What do you need to know before connecting?
When choosing a method of pairing a tablet and a TV, take into account the technical characteristics of both devices. All available connection options can be roughly divided into two large groups – wired and wireless. What you need to consider when choosing a connection method:
- if the house is running an old TV that does not support Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – wireless technologies, the tablet cannot be connected without using wires;
- disadvantages of wired pairing – you need to buy additional cables, adapters, the tablet is fixed at a certain distance from the connection point;
- a wired connection is not always capable of streaming high-quality, high-definition video.
To connect, use the wires that come with the TV. Or buy cords with different connectors for better picture quality. The most common and popular connection options are via HDMI and USB connectors.
HDMI connection is considered the best option for watching video files on a TV screen. This option allows you to transmit a digital signal in maximum quality – you can watch video in 4K resolution. Advantages of connecting via HDMI:
- high quality video;
- high definition support, including Ultra HD 8K;
- ease of connection.
- not all tablets have an HDMI connector or its mini / micro version;
- there are times when you need to purchase a special USB adapter.
- Select HDMI output on the TV.
- Connect the tablet and TV using an HDMI cable (and, if necessary, an adapter).
- Adjust your tablet to the optimal resolution for your TV picture.
If you connect a keyboard with a mouse to the tablet, you can work by displaying documents, texts, diagrams on a large screen. Accessories will also allow you to comfortably surf the web.
The USB connector can only be used to view content from a tablet. But surfing will not work. You can only watch video and listen to audio – if you download the files to the tablet in advance. Benefits of USB connection:
- you can use a standard charging cable for connection, one end of the cable is equipped with a plug for insertion into a standard connector, the other – USB;
- ease of connection;
- no need to buy additional wires or install applications on the tablet;
- the tablet is automatically recharged via USB;
- it is possible to view almost all video formats (the exact list depends on the TV).
Minus – high quality video transmission, for example, 4K, via USB will not work. How to connect:
- Attach one end of the cable to the tablet – insert it into the charging port.
- Install the other end of the cable into the socket on the TV – it can be located on the back panel or on the side.
- After connecting with a wire, the TV, having discovered a new device, offers to make a choice – audio or video files. Select the option you want, an image of folders and files will appear on the screen – select the one you need and click on it to launch.
- If the TV cannot find the device, display the files by itself. Select the TV source to display the video from the USB device. To do this, go to the settings or use the remote control – it has a Source button. Press this button and select USB. Switch the tablet to signal transmission mode, and if it prompts you to make a choice, the problem is solved. Or manually switch to Data Transfer mode.
- Using the remote control, “rummage” in the folders, browse the available files, select the desired one.
Video about connecting devices to TV via USB:
This technology combines the functions of USB and HDMI. MHL is a cable with HDMI on one end and Micro-USB on the other.
The cable can be:
- Passive. There are plugs at both ends of the wire. Suitable if both tablet and TV support MHL.
- Active. At the end with an HDMI plug, an additional USB connector is connected. It is needed for the adapter (5V, 1A). This cable is needed if the TV does not support MHL.
An RCA cable is a wire with a bundle of three plugs at one end – it is also called a “tulip”. All plugs are different colors – white, red and yellow.
The colored plugs are inserted into the corresponding colored connectors. They are located at the back or side. After that, you can watch photos and videos on the screen.
This connection option is nice because it can be applied to the oldest TVs. Minus – you need to additionally provide the tablet with energy by connecting the charger. RCA is an outdated analog technology; modern digital technology does not support it.
VGA is an outdated technology, but if your TV has such a port, you can also connect a tablet to it. VGA is used primarily for connecting displays to PC connectors, but it can also be used to connect to a tablet.
Before proceeding with the connection, you need to make sure that the TV has a VGA connector. It is usually blue or black. The same color and markings of the plugs on the wire.
Disadvantages of the VGA interface – you need to buy a special HDMI-VGA adapter, since the tablet does not have the required connector. Another disadvantage of the connection is the sound output through a separate channel. Only video signal is transmitted via VGA.
Wireless connection is only suitable for Smart TV. Regardless of the brand, all TVs with this technology are designed to be connected wirelessly. The main disadvantage of such a connection is possible interruptions in signal transmission. The quality of wireless communication is affected by the operation of other equipment that propagates electromagnetic waves. This does not affect the quality of the video, but it interferes with playing video games – the image is delayed. The higher the Internet speed, the better the video quality, the less chance of jerks, delays, braking.
Broadcasting Wi-Fi requires a lot of energy, so when receiving a signal wirelessly, the tablet quickly runs out of power.
WiFi-direct is by far the most common method of wirelessly connecting tablets to Smart TVs. Thanks to the Screen Mirroring function (from Android 4.0), it is possible to transfer videos from a tablet to a TV screen.
To start the function, just go to “Settings” and select the desired monitor type in the drop-down list. WiFi-direct can be used to control Smart TV remotely. Launching the MediaShare app transforms your tablet into an advanced and ergonomic remote control. Each TV has its own Wi-fi Direct connection algorithm, and the item names may differ significantly in different gadgets. The main task is to find the desired setting on the TV and tablet, turn it on and synchronize.
There is no Wi-Fi Direct item in the settings of new TV models. And all wireless connections are made with the built-in Screen Share feature.
With a new TV, you can connect right away without changing any settings. Almost every modern tablet or smartphone has the function of broadcasting to the screen. You need to look for it in the settings or in the quick access. The function can be called “projection”, “broadcast”, “fast monitor”, etc.
Miracast connectivity allows you to connect without a WiFi router. Both devices connect with each other to duplicate the picture from the tablet. Mirakast, although it supports 4K video, does not allow for the comfort of playing on a TV screen – the picture always lags behind by about 1 second. How to start the Miracast function:
- Turn on WiFi-direct in Smart TV.
- Go to the “Settings” of the tablet and go to the “Screen mirroring Miracast” section.
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Select the required TV model from the drop-down list.
- After the performed manipulations, an automatic launch occurs.
On the latest TVs, the application does not have to be opened – Miracast works in the background and responds to all external connections. All the user has to do is confirm the connection. Video about wirelessly connecting an Android tablet to a TV using Miracast:
This technology only works with Apple technology. Using Airplay, you can connect iPhone and iPad to TVs.
The easiest way to transfer a picture is if your TV has an Apple TV module:
- Open the Quick Access Toolbar on iPad / iPhone and click on “Screen Mirroring”.
- Select the model you want from the TV list.
- A 4-digit code appears on the TV screen. Type it in the appropriate field of the gadget.
- To stop AirPlay image transmission, click on the Stop Replay button.
If your TV doesn’t have an Apple TV module or Smart TV functionality, things get more complicated. The first case requires the installation of an appropriate application, for example, the free AirScreen. To connect TVs without Smart TV, you will need special equipment, for example, you can use the Apple TV prefix. Video about connecting a tablet via AirPlay to a Samsung TV:
This Samsung Link utility is similar to Apple. The development belongs to the Korean company Samsung. This is a very simple and fast way to connect.
- Connect your tablet and TV to the same WiFi network.
- Launch the Samsung Smart View app on your tablet.It can be downloaded for free on Google Play.
- When the devices are synchronized, all that remains is to select the appropriate document using the file manager and place it on the big screen.
The main disadvantage of AllShare is that there is no mirror repeat function.
This wireless technology is rarely used because it does not allow real-time image transmission. Bluetooth is usually used for broadcasting sound – for listening through headphones, as well as for other secondary purposes.
Despite the fact that there are apps for Android and iOs, streaming videos using bluetooth technology is a bad decision. Since the transmission quality is very low.
What is the best choice?
The choice of the optimal way to connect the tablet to the TV is influenced not so much by the user’s desire as by the capabilities and features of the paired devices. Selection tips:
- For modern devices, it is better to use wireless sync. It does not require any wires, adapters, or other additional equipment. Moreover, this method of connection opens up more opportunities for users than with a wired connection. A wired connection is justified only if it is impossible to organize a wireless connection. This option has to be used in old TVs and in models without Smart TVs that do not have a WiFi module or Bluetooth technology.
- Use appropriate adapters. In the event that the tablet does not provide the ability to connect an HDMI cable.
The best options for connecting a tablet and a TV are currently considered:
- RCA or cinch connection.
In each specific case, the user himself determines which connection method will be preferable for him. Naturally, relying on the technical capabilities of their devices.
Before connecting your tablet to the TV, be sure to update the software of both devices to prevent possible system errors.
How do I connect my tablet to a TV of an identical brand?
Many leading manufacturers of TVs and tablets develop and implement special programs that allow devices of this brand to quickly and easily synchronize with each other.
How to connect a Samsung tablet to a Samsung TV using an HDTV adapter?
The South Korean manufacturer is introducing Screen Mirroring into its devices, which allows all Samsungs to quickly connect via wireless.
Fast wireless connection between Samsung devices is provided in Galaxy tablets and TV models of the following series: N, M, Q, LS, K, J, F.
Connection procedure for Android 9.0 models:
- Press the Source button on the TV remote control and select Screen Mirroring from among the connection sources. For models N, M, Q, LS, K, skip the first step.
- In the tablet, expand the panel with quick settings and swipe to the right to go to additional settings, and select the Smart View item there.
- After the done manipulations, the tablet will start looking for a suitable TV and display a list of all found devices. In the list provided, select the option you want.
- While the tablet is connecting to the TV, the TV may display a message about the connection process – then you will need to confirm the permission.
- After the connection is complete, the tablet home screen appears on the TV screen.
In older versions of Android, the connection order may differ slightly from the above. To be able to launch the Screen Mirroring function, the tablet must be equipped with a mobile version of Android at least the sixth. If one of the paired devices does not support Screen Mirroring, you will have to use Smart View. To connect a gadget of another brand to a Samsung TV, you need to independently download the application preinstalled on all new Samsung tablets and smartphones. So, for example, to connect a Huawei tablet to a Samsung TV, you just need to install SmartView on it, which works on both Android and iOS. After launching the application, the TV will be detected automatically. Video on how to connect a tablet to a Samsung / LG TV:
How to connect LG tablet to LG TV?
The second South Korean giant also has its own solution to the problem of pairing devices. For this, he developed the Screen Share program – this application works with Miracast and Wi-Fi Direct. This software is installed on almost all new LG TVs. The procedure for transferring an image from a tablet to a TV:
- Press the Home button on the remote control.
- Select Screen Share from the drop-down list of software.
- Activate Miracast / AllShare Cast functionality on your tablet. After that, the device will start looking for the TV.
- In the proposed list of devices, select the one you need and click on it.
On the tablet, it is recommended to select a horizontal image and disable changing the screen orientation – so that the picture does not turn over. There are a few things to keep in mind when connecting LG devices:
- the minimum version on the tablet is Android 4.2., and it is recommended to update the firmware on the TV;
- the manufacturer gives a guarantee for connections only for LG devices; connecting another brand may cause problems;
- if the connection is intermittently interrupted, you need to restart the tablet and reconnect.
To connect a Samsung tablet to an LG TV, use any of the above methods, depending on the technical capabilities of both devices.
Options for connecting the tablet to older TV models
TVs manufactured before 2000 do not support connection via the most popular HDMI interface, especially since they do not have the ability to connect via Wi-Fi. How to connect your tablet to an old TV:
- Through the “tulip”. This option is suitable even for models with a picture tube. The white plug carries the left audio signal and mono signal, the red one carries the right audio signal, and the yellow one carries the video signal. The plugs are inserted into the corresponding colored ports. If your tablet does not have an RCA jack, buy an HDMI to RCA signal converter. It converts the digital signal to analog. The adapter has two connectors. HDMI is needed here to connect to the tablet, and connect the cable plugs to the TV. Select a signal source on the remote control – it has a separate button.
- Via micro USB. Play the content downloaded to the device on the TV. Streaming video is not possible here. Use a micro USB cable to connect. They usually come with all tablets. After connecting the devices, go to the tablet settings. Select the signal source there. The TV will “see” the tablet as a USB flash drive. After that, open the folder and play the video.
Why can’t I connect my tablet to my TV?
If the connection cannot be established, not everything is lost, perhaps mistakes have been made somewhere that can be easily eliminated. First of all, find out the reason for the lack of connection, and then make adjustments. Algorithm for solving problems when there is no connection:
- If the connection is wired, check that the cable is working properly. Check if there are any mechanical damages or kinks on it. Check the contacts of the plugs – they may be damaged or simply dirty. Try connecting with a different cable. It happens that after a long period of use, the plugs become loose. This breaks the contact between the board and the connector. It is necessary to replace the broken part with a new one.
- Reread the instructions. Possibly the paired devices are simply incompatible. This is especially true for those released many years ago.
- Check again the correctness of the connection – you may have made a mistake when connecting the plugs.
- Update your tablet and TV software.
If all else fails, and you really want / need to connect the tablet to the TV, contact the universal service center that deals with the prompt repair of home appliances. Connectivity issues are common with cheap Chinese devices such as the Digma tablet. Many users face the problem of establishing a stable connection. Even if tablets like Digma can be connected to a TV, they are not able to provide high-quality video transmission. There are many ways to connect a tablet to a TV, but the choice of option depends, first of all, on the technical features of the devices. You also have to take into account your needs and goals, and almost every user is able to synchronize two devices.